The Cycling Co. has partnered with the Bear Mountain Bike Park to design a premium mountain bike instruction experience with expert coaches. We’ve developed our kids’ mountain bike programs for kids aged 9-13, from beginner levels through to intermediate and advanced riding abilities.
Spring 2018 Programs
Our kids mountain bike programs are designed to build confidence and take your child’s riding abilities to the next level. Current programs include:
- Pro-D Day Camp – April 20
- Pro-D Day Camp – May 4
- Pro-D Day Camp – May 18
- Summer Mountain Bike Camps: Every week in July and August
We will cover the following skills:
- Body position: Neutral and Attack Positions
- Operation of Controls
- – Braking – Independent use of front(F) and rear(R) brakes
- – Shifting – Gear selection and how to choose the proper gear for riding conditions
- Terrain Awareness – Choosing different lines through trails with varying terrain
- Skills and maneuvers
- climbing and safely descending hills
- riding skinny logs and bridges
- front and rear wheel lifts
- bunny hops
- roll downs and small drops
Teaching kids the skills to ride safely in a controlled environment.
Our mountain bike camp provides certified instruction in small groups where kids aged 9-13 develop new skills, make new friends, and burn off energy! In this age of computer screens, video games, and Netflix, the benefits of kids getting outside and active on their bikes are more important than ever!
A child’s bike is their first taste of freedom and we want to make that experience as fun and awesome as possible! Kids feel their first sense independence when they learn to ride a bike. Remember that feeling? Burning around the neighbourhood, ripping over to your friend’s house and just knocking on the door; then riding all day until your parents made you come home for dinner, “when the street lights come on.”
What Level Does Your Child Ride At?
Beginner – An Introduction to Mountain Biking:
Your child is new to mountain biking off-road and is keen to learn basic trail riding skills like body position, braking, shifting gears and maintaining traction. We will incorporate lots of games to help kids learn skills while keeping it fun and interactive.
Intermediate Mountain Biking
Your child has decent bike handling skills and is confident riding on different types of terrain and conditions including wet, dry, loose, muddy, singletrack and doubletrack. Intermediate riders will further develop their position and balance, refine operation of gears and brakes, practice maneuvers that they will need on the trail and just generally have a great time on the bike.
Advanced Mountain Biking
Your child has solid bike handling skills and a good deal of experience riding on technical terrain including singletrack, rocky, loose and rooty trail conditions. Advanced riders will hone their technical skills and learn more advanced trail maneuvers. We will spend lots of time riding to give these rippers a chance to really develop.
*Lunch, Bike Rentals & Bike Storage (for week-long programs)
- Participants are expected to provide their own daily lunch, however, an optional daily bag lunch is available at an additional cost of $10/day. If your child has specific dietary needs/requests, please advise (food pricing may vary).
- If the participant is unable to provide his/her own bike and helmet, rentals are available at an additional cost of $25/day or $85 for one week. Please contact us to reserve a bike and helmet for your child.
- Bike storage is available for participants’ bikes for the duration of their camp at no additional cost.