The Cycling Co. has partnered with the Bear Mountain Bike Park to design a premium mountain bike instruction experience with expert coaches. We’ve developed our kids’ mountain bike programs for kids aged 8 and up, from beginner levels through to intermediate and advanced mountain biking abilities.
Our kids mountain bike programs are designed to build confidence and take your child’s riding abilities to the next level. Current programs include:
- Spring Break Mountain Bike Camps: March
- Dirt Squirts, Dirt Rippers and Dirt Shredders MTB programs
- Summer Mountain Bike Camps: Every week through July and August
The Cycling Co. programs all cover the following fundamental mountain bike skills:
- Body position on the bike: Neutral and Attack Positions, moving through a rider’s range of motion
- Operation of Controls
- – Braking – Independent use of front(F) and rear(R) brakes
- – Shifting – Gear selection and how to choose the proper gear for riding conditions
- Terrain Awareness – Choosing different lines through trails with varying terrain
- Skills and maneuvers
- climbing and safely descending hills
- riding skinny logs and bridges
- front and rear wheel lifts
- bunny hops
- roll downs and drops
- jumps (when appropriate)
Skill Focused Ride Development.
Our mountain bike camps provide certified instruction in small groups where kids and youth develop new skills, make new friends, and burn off energy! In this age of computer screens, video games, and Netflix, the benefits of kids getting outside and active on their bikes are more important than ever!
A child’s bike is their first taste of freedom and we want to make that experience as fun and awesome as possible! Kids feel their first sense independence when they learn to ride a bike. Remember that feeling? Burning around the neighbourhood, ripping over to your friend’s house and just knocking on the door; then riding all day until your parents made you come home for dinner, “when the street lights come on.”
What Level Does Your Child Ride At?
Beginner – An Introduction to Mountain Biking:
Your child is new to mountain biking off-road and is keen to learn basic trail riding skills like body position, braking, shifting gears and maintaining traction. We will incorporate lots of games to help kids learn skills while keeping it fun and interactive.
Intermediate Mountain Biking
Your child has decent bike handling skills and is confident riding on different types of terrain and conditions including wet, dry, loose, muddy, singletrack and doubletrack. Intermediate riders will further develop their position and balance, refine operation of gears and brakes, practice maneuvers that they will need on the trail and just generally have a great time on the bike.
Advanced Mountain Biking
Your child has solid bike handling skills and a good deal of experience riding on technical terrain including singletrack, rocky, loose and rooty trail conditions. Advanced riders will hone their technical skills and learn more advanced trail maneuvers. We will spend lots of time riding to give these rippers a chance to really develop.
- Participants are expected to provide their own daily lunch, however, an optional daily bag lunch is availableat The Mountain Market at an additional cost.